Senokot 7.5mg Tablets 12 years plus 60s is the effective treatment for occasional or low cases of constipation. It contains senna which naturally controls and calms the situation so you can get on with your life without any irritation or uncomfortable moments.
Drug Safety Update: measures for stimulant laxatives.
Stimulant laxatives should only be used if other laxatives (bulk-forming and osmotic) are ineffective. Children younger than 12 years should not use stimulant laxatives without advice from a prescriber and clinical guidance should be followed.
Uses / Instructions
- Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years:swallow one to two tablets at night
- Children over 6 years: Not recommended unless advised by a medical professional
- Children 6 years and under: Not recommended
- Do not exceed the stated dose New users should start with the lowest dose and increase it to the maximum dose if necessary. Once regularity has been regained doesage should be reduced and can usually be stopped. Duration of use Normally it is sufficient to take this medicinal product up to two to three times a week.
- Use for more than 1 – 2 weeks requires medical supervision.
Tell a doctor, pharmacist or nurse if:
• the symptoms worsen or persist during the use of the medicinal product
• there is no bowel movement within 3 days of use
• you need to take laxatives every day if abdominal pain persists.
Like all medications, Senokot tablets can have side effects, although not everyone will experience them. These include:
- Abdominal pain, spasms, and diarrhoea, especially in those with an irritable colon
- Allergic reactions, e.g. hives, itching, local or widespread rash, asthma
- Being more likely to catch infections
- Albumin or red blood cells in the urine
- Yellow or red-brown discolouration of the urine, this is harmless
- Pigmentation of the gastro-intestinal tract, this usually recedes when you stop taking this product
- Low potassium levels in the blood, leading to muscle weakness and/or cramps
- Severe weight loss
- Changes in shape of finger and fingernail, muscle spasms, inflammation of bones and joints
Tablet containing: Senna, standardised 7.5mg.
See patient information leaflet for a full list of side effects.