Norinyl-1 is one of a group of medicines called combined oral contraceptives or “the Pill”. This is used to prevent pregnancy.
Norinyl-1 contains two hormones – a progestogen hormone called norethisterone and an estrogen hormone called mestranol. These two hormones act together to prevent pregnancy from occurring
Uses / Instructions
Take ONE tablet daily for 21 days then have a 7 day break. Repeat this process.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Norinyl-1 if you have any of the following
conditions. This will help them decide if Norinyl-1 is suitable for you:
• Slow or sudden development of visual disturbances such as complete or partial loss of
• Epilepsy (a condition where you suffer from fits)
• Diseases of the heart and blood vessels (cardiovascular disease)
• High blood pressure (hypertension)
• Kidney disease
• Multiple sclerosis (a problem of the nervous system)
• Tetany (muscle twitches)
• Breast problems of any sort
• Varicose veins (widened or twisted vein usually in the leg)
• Liver dysfunction
• Severe depression
• Fibroids in your uterus
• Irregular periods
• Sharp pain in your abdomen
• Sickle-cell anaemia
• Otosclerosis (an inherited form of deafness)
• Porphyria (a metabolic disease)
• Chloasma (brown patches on your skin which can happen during pregnancy but may not fade completely)
• Any disease that is likely to get worse during pregnancy.
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects although not everybody gets them.
Possible side effects Norimin may cause are:
• feeling sick
• stomach upset
• weight gain
• changes in appetite
• changes in the way your body breaks down sugars, fats or vitamins
• high blood pressure
• swollen or sore breasts
• change in sex drive
• worsening of womb disorders
• irregular vaginal bleeding
See patient information leaflet for more details.
The active substances are norethisterone and mestranol. Each Norinyl-1 tablet contains 1
milligram of norethisterone and 50 micrograms of mestranol. The other ingredients are maize starch, polyvidone, magnesium stearate and lactose