Logynon is a combined oral contraceptive pill (‘the Pill’). You take it to stop you getting pregnant. Logynon contains two types of female sex hormones, oestrogen (ethinylestradiol) and progestogen (levonorgestrel). These hormones stop you getting pregnant by working in three ways: by preventing an egg being released from your ovaries; by making the fluid (mucus) in your cervix thicker, which makes it more difficult for sperm to enter the womb; and by preventing the lining of your womb thickening enough for an egg to grow in it.
Logynon is a 21-day pill – you take one each day for 21 days, followed by 7 days when you take no pills.
The benefits of taking the Pill include:
▪ it is one of the most reliable reversible methods of contraception if used correctly
▪ it doesn’t interrupt sex
▪ it usually makes your periods regular, lighter and less painful
▪ it may help with pre-menstrual symptoms.
Logynon will not protect you against sexually transmitted infections, such as Chlamydia or HIV. Only
condoms can help to do this.
Logynon needs to be taken as directed to prevent pregnancy.
Uses / Instructions
Take Logynon every day for 21 days then have seven pill-free days
Repeat this process
▪ If you experience symptoms of angioedema such as swollen face, tongue and/or throat and/or difficulty swallowing or hives potentially with difficulty breathing contact a doctor immediately. Products containing oestrogens may cause or worsen the symptoms of hereditary and acquired angioedema
▪ If you have Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis (chronic inflammatory bowel disease)
▪ If you have systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE – a disease affecting your natural defence system)
▪ If you have haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS – a disorder of blood clotting causing failure of the kidneys)
▪ If you have sickle cell anaemia (an inherited disease of the red blood cells)
▪ If you have inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis)
▪ If you have elevated levels of fat in the blood (hypertriglyceridaemia) or a positive family history for this condition. Hypertriglyceridaemia has been associated with an increased risk of developing pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
▪ If you need an operation, or you are off your feet for a long time.
▪ If you have just given birth you are at an increased risk of blood clots. You should ask your doctor how soon after delivery you can start taking Logynon
▪ If you have an inflammation in the veins under the skin (superficial thrombophlebitis)
▪ If you have varicose veins
▪ If you have diabetes
▪ If you or your close family have ever had problems with your heart, or circulation such as high blood pressure
▪ If you or your close family have ever had problems with blood clotting
▪ If you have the inherited disease called porphyria
▪ If you are overweight (obese)
▪ If you have migraines
▪ If you have any illness that worsened during pregnancy or previous use of the Pill
See patient information leaflet for mroe details.
Like all medicines, Logynon can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. If you get any side effect, particularly if severe and persistent, or have any change to your health that you think may be due to Logynon, please talk to your doctor.
An increased risk of blood clots in the veins (venous thromboembolism (VTE)) or blood clots in the arteries (arterial thromboembolism (ATE)) is present for all women using combined hormonal contraceptives.
Common side effects (between 100 and 1000 in every 10,000 users may be affected)
▪ feeling sick
▪ stomach ache
▪ putting on weight
▪ depressive moods or mood swings
▪ sore or painful breasts
See patient information leaflet for more details.
The active substances are levonorgestrel and ethinylestradiol.
Each light brown tablet contains 50 micrograms levonorgestrel and 30 micrograms ethinylestradiol.
Each white tablet contains 75 micrograms levonorgestrel and 40 micrograms ethinylestradiol
Each ochre tablet contains 125 micrograms levonorgestrel and 30 micrograms ethinylestradiol
All tablets are sugar-coated.
The other ingredients are:
Lactose, maize starch, povidone, magnesium stearate (E572), sucrose, macrogol 6000, calcium carbonate (E170), talc, glycol montanate, glycerin (E422), titanium dioxide (E171), ferric oxide pigment (red and yellow) (E172).