500g, 2X500g, 3X500g, 4X500g
£15.99 – £49.99
Dermol 500 Lotion is for the management of dry and itchy skin conditions such as eczema and dermatitis. In dry skin conditions such as eczema, using moisturisers regularly, even once the skin has improved, can help prevent flare-ups. Dermol 500 also helps reduce scaling, redness and itching.
Dermol 500 Lotion is useful for dry skin conditions, such as eczema and dermatitis, which get worse when the skin is allowed to dry out.
This antimicrobial emollient and moisturiser are specially formulated to address dry, chapped skin as well as use as a soap substitute. It replaces lost moisture and locks it into the skin.
Used regularly, this lotion can help restore the skin’s smoothness, softness and flexibility by replacing lost moisture and helping the skin retain moisture. This helps reduce scaling, redness and itching.
Dermol 500 Lotion contains four main ingredients:
- Liquid paraffin and isopropyl myristate, both of which have moisturising properties
- Benzalkonium chloride and chlorhexidine hydrochloride, which are antimicrobial
How Does Dermol 500 Lotion Moisturise Your Dry Skin?
Liquid paraffin and isopropyl myristate work by replacing lost water within the skin, and by forming a waterproof barrier over the skin surface. This prevents water within the skin from evaporating and keeps the underlying skin hydrated.
Benzalkonium chloride and chlorhexidine hydrochloride have antimicrobial properties that help to destroy bacteria on the surface of the skin, which may otherwise infect and aggravate dry skin conditions such as eczema.
500g, 2X500g, 3X500g, 4X500g
Uses / Instructions
Use it only on the skin. For maximum benefit you should use this product on a regular basis and as often as required. Before using the 500 ml bottle, turn the top of the pump dispenser anti-clockwise to unlock it. After unlocking, you will need to press down the pump dispenser several times to prime the pump before any product is dispensed. The same instructions apply for all age groups:-
For use as a leave-on application
• Apply Dermol 500 Lotion to the affected areas.
• Gently smooth into the skin. If necessary, allow time for any excess to soak in. Do not rub the skin vigorously.
• Reapply as often as required.
• If you are applying another treatment to the same areas of skin as Dermol 500 Lotion, try to avoid mixing the two products. This can be achieved by applying the treatments alternately, leaving sufficient time to allow the previous application to soak in.
For use as a soap substitute
• Use Dermol 500 Lotion to wash with instead of your ordinary soap or shower gel. It will not foam or lather like ordinary cosmetic products.
• After washing, bathing or showering, pat the skin dry with a soft towel (avoid rubbing as this can make dry skin conditions worse).
If you forget to use Dermol 500 Lotion
Do not worry if you occasionally forget to use it, just carry on using the product as described the next time you require it.
If the product gets into the eyes
The product may cause irritation if it gets into the eyes. Rinse the eyes with plenty of water. If rinsing one eye, take care to avoid washing product into the other eye. If irritation persists, seek medical advice.
Do not use Dermol 500 Lotion if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to benzalkonium chloride, chlorhexidine dihydrochloride, liquid paraffin, isopropyl myristate, or any of the other ingredients of Dermol 500 Lotion listed in Section 6.
Warnings and precautions As with any product, severe generalised allergic reactions are possible.
Very rare reports of such reactions in susceptible individuals, leading to a drop in blood pressure and even to unconsciousness, have been associated with products containing chlorhexidine.
You must not use Dermol 500 Lotion if you have had problems with chlorhexidine-containing products in the past.
Do not smoke or go near naked flames – risk of severe burns.
Fabric (clothing, bedding, dressings etc) that has been in contact with this product burns more easily and is a serious fire hazard.
Washing clothing and bedding may reduce product build-up but not totally remove it. Take care when using this product:
• For patients with very sensitive skin, it is generally a good idea to start any new treatment on a small test area first, in case any side effect occurs This is especially important when treating the face or young children. Thereafter, treatments may be applied more generously, as required.
• Avoid getting it in the eyes, especially when using it on the face.
• When used as a soap substitute in the bath or shower the product can make the surface slippery, so be careful to avoid slipping over when getting into and out of your shower or bath (e.g. by using a shower or bath mat). Using other medicines This product is not known to affect, or to be affected by, other medicines.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding This product can be used during pregnancy and whilst breast-feeding.
The ingredients have been in widespread use in this and similar preparations for many years, without reports of problems. However, safety trials have not been conducted.
Dermol 500 Lotion contains cetostearyl alcohol Cetostearyl alcohol may cause local skin reactions (e.g. contact dermatitis). If you have previously experienced local skin reactions (e.g. contact dermatitis) to any of the ingredients, please talk to your doctor before using this product.
Like all medicines, Dermol 500 Lotion can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
If you experience any of the following reactions stop using Dermol 500 Lotion and get urgent medical help: swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat; a sudden uncharacteristic red itchy skin rash (hives) away from the site of application; wheezing or breathing difficulty; feeling faint or dizzy; a strange metallic taste in the mouth; or collapse. You may be having a serious allergic reaction. This product has been specially designed for use on dry or problem skin areas anywhere on the body.
Rarely, Dermol 500 Lotion
Can cause skin reactions on treated areas (involving redness, irritation and/or itching). These very rare skin reactions may become more significant where associated with excessive use as a leave-on application in areas of folded skin such as the groin or in the nappy area.
Stop using this lotion and tell your doctor or pharmacist:
• If your skin condition seems to look or feel worse.
• If any of the side effects become unacceptable, or you notice any other side effects not mentioned in this leaflet. If you swallow Dermol 500 Lotion If you accidentally swallow the product and you then feel unwell, seek medical attention. Do not attempt to cause vomiting.
The active ingredients in this product are benzalkonium chloride (0.1% w/w), chlorhexidine dihydrochloride (0.1% w/w), liquid paraffin (2.5% w/w) and isopropyl myristate (2.5% w/w).
The other ingredients are:
Cetostearyl alcohol, macrogol cetostearyl ether (cetomacrogol 1000), phenoxyethanol and purified water.