What is Care Kaolin & Morphine Mixture?
This medicine is a mixture of Kaolin and Morphine that provides relief for diarrhoea or an upset stomach. It works by removing toxic substances from your digestive system and calms the gut by neutralising excess stomach acid. Kaolin & Morphine mixture is an ideal choice of diarrhoea relief if you prefer liquid medicines over tablets.
Why do I have diarrhoea and an upset stomach?
Diarrhoea and stomach discomfort go hand in hand, and suffering with them can be really uncomfortable, unpleasant, or even distressing. There are various reasons you could be suffering from diarrhoea and an upset stomach, including:
A food allergy or intolerance
A viral infection, such as norovirus
A bacterial infection, such as E.coli
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
An inflammatory bowel disorder
A reaction to medication
Fortunately, stomach bugs don’t usually last for more than a few days and diarrhoea relief is available to help you feel better.
What is Kaolin and how does it work?
Kaolin is a natural clay mineral that can be found in nature, or recreated in a laboratory. The clay can be used for a variety of medical purposes, including diarrhoea and stomach discomfort. Kaolin works as an active ingredient in this medicine by removing toxic substances from your digestive system and increasing the bulk of solid waste, relieving diarrhoea.
How will Care Kaolin & Morphine Mixture relieve my upset stomach?
Whilst 2g of kaolin light works as diarrhoea relief, 500mg of sodium hydrogen carbonate will neutralise excess stomach acid and leave your stomach feeling more settled. 0.916mg of morphine hydrochloride will help to relieve any stomach pain you may be experiencing.
Uses / Instructions
For adults and children over the age of 12
Take 2 x 5ml spoonfuls. You can repeat this dose up to 3 times a day if required.
You must not take this medicine with alcoholic or hot drinks, and you must not exceed the stated dose.
- Care Kaolin & Morphine Mixture can cause drowsiness. If you are feeling drowsy, sleepy or dizzy after taking this medicine, then you should avoid driving or operating machinery.
- Children under 12 must not take this Kaolin & Morphine mixture. If your child is in need of diarrhoea relief, please speak our pharmacist.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding (unless your doctor has stated otherwise)
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients
- You have a blocked intestine or bowel problems
- You have liver disease
- You are having an asthma attack, or experiencing shallow breath or breathing difficulties
- You have a head injury or a persistent headache
- You have fits or seizures
- You have taken MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) for depression in the past 2 weeks
- You have an addiction to alcohol
- You have high levels of alkali in your blood
- You have low levels of calcium in your blood
- You have reduced stomach acid
It is also important that this medicine is never administered to a coma patient.
You should talk to your doctor or Chemist4U pharmacist before taking this medicine if you have:
- Heart failure
- Kidney problems
- Liver problems
- High or low blood pressure
- Prostate trouble
- An underactive thyroid
- A low sodium diet
As with all medicines, there are potential side effects when taking Care Kaolin & Morphine Mixture for diarrhoea relief. The possible side effects are:
- Stomach cramps
- Feeling or being sick
- Difficulty in passing water
- Dry mouth
- Facial flushing
- Low body heat
- Mood changes
- Pinpoint pupils
- Low sexual urge
- Skin rash and itching
- Low blood pressure
- Abnormal heartbeat
- An increased sensitivity to pain
- Dependence or addiction in prolonged use
Active ingredients per 5ml: kaolin light 1g, sodium hydrogen carbonate 250mg, morphine hydrochloride 0.458mg.
Also contains: ethanol, sucrose, sodium parahydroxybenzoates (E219, E217), Sodium 74mg/5ml, alcohol 0.55 vol%
Always read the label for the full list of ingredients.