The active substance in this medicine is Bisoprolol fumarate. Bisoprolol fumarate belongs to group of medicines called beta-blockers. Beta-blocker protects heart from too much activity. This medicine works by affecting the body’s response to some nerve impulses, especially in the heart. As a result, Bisoprolol fumarate slows down the heart rate and makes the heart more efficient at pumping blood around the body. Heart failure occurs when the heart muscle is weak and unable to pump enough blood to supply the body’s need.
Bisoprolol 2.5 mg, 5 mg and 10 mg tablet are used in combination with other medicines to treat stable heart failure.
Bisoprolol 5 mg and 10 mg tablet are also used to treat high blood pressure (Hypertension) and angina pectoris (Chest pain caused by blockages in the arteries that supply the heart muscle)
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine. He or she may want to take
special care (for example give additional treatment or perform more frequent checks) if you
have any of the following conditions:
– strict fasting (fasting from solid food)
– certain heart disease such as disturbance in heart rhythm or severe chest pain at rest
– kidney or liver disease
– less severe blood circulation problem in your limbs
– less severe asthma or chronic lung disease
– history of a scaly skin rash (psoriasis)
– tumour of the adrenal gland (medulla) (phaeochromocytoma)
– thyroid disorder
In addition, tell your doctor if you are going to have:
– Desensitization therapy (for example for the prevention of hay fever), because Bisoprolol fumarate may make it more likely that you experience as allergic reaction or such reaction may be more severe.
– Anesthesia (for example for surgery) because this medicine may influence how your body react to this situation.
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people):
– Tiredness*, feeling weak (In patient with chronic heart failure), dizziness*, headache*
– Feeling of coldness or numbness in hands or feet
– Low blood pressure, especially in patient with heart failure.
– Stomach or intestine problem such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation.
Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people):
– Sleep disturbances
– Breathing problems in patients with asthma or chronic lung disease
– Muscle weakness, muscle cramps.
– feeling weak (In patient with hypertension or angina pectoris)
See patient information leaflet for more details.
The active ingredient is Bisoprolol
For a list of other ingredients see the patient information leaflet of the pack you receive as different brands have different other ingredients.