Alka-Seltzer Original Effervescent Tablets provide fast and effective relief from mild to moderate pain including:
- sore throat
- period pains
They also provide symptomatic relief from sprains, strains, rheumatic pain, sciatica, lumbago, fibrosis, muscular aches and pains, joint swelling, and stiffness. Additionally, they Alka-Seltzer Original can provide symptomatic relief of influenza, feverishness, and feverish colds.
Key features of Alka-Seltzer Original Tablets
- Effervescent tablets
- Active ingredient: Aspirin
- Relieves mild to moderate pain
Uses / Instructions
Alka-Seltzer must always be dissolved in a glass of water prior to oral administration.
Adults, elderly and children aged 16 years and over:
2 tablets in water. The dose may be repeated every 4 hours, as required, with a maximum of 4 dosages in 24 hours.
- These dosages should not be continued for more than three days without consulting a physician.
- The stated dose must not be exceeded.
- Do not give to children under 16 years, unless specifically indicated (e.g. for Kawasaki’s disease).
Do not take Alka Seltzer if you:
- are allergic to aspirin, sodium hydrogen carbonate, citric acid or to any other ingredients.
- are allergic to any other pain relieving or anti-inflammatory medicines (e.e NSAIDS or salicylates).
- have, or have had, a stomach or duodenal ulcer.
- have a disorder which causes excessive bleeding such as haemophilia.
- are pregnant or breast feeding.
- have severe heart, kidney or live problems.
- have asthma that is worsened by aspirin or any other NSAID.
- Avoid if you are on a high dose of methotrexate, 15mg per week.
Speak to your doctor before taking Alka Seltzer if you:
- suffer from Asthma, nasal polyps, hayfever or allergies.
- have low uric acid excretion, which is commonly associated with gout.
- have a history of gastrointestinal disorders.
- have kidney or liver problems.
- have problems with your circulation.
- are about to have surgery.
- are elderly.
- Aspirin has also been associated with increased risk of Reye’s Syndrome when given to children with a fever. For this reason the use of aspirin is not recommended in children under 16 years of age.
- You should ask your doctor before taking aspirin if you are taking any other medicines including those for blood clots (thrombosis) such as warfarin or gout such as probenecid. If you are unsure please check with your doctor, always read the label.
- This is a medicine; Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have an underlying medical condition, are taking any other medication or complementary therapy, or if symptoms persist.
- Seek advice before using if you are breast feeding, pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or suffer from allergies.
- Keep all medicines out of the reach of children.
As with all medicines, you may notice some side effects when taking Alka-Seltzer tablets. These are usually mild and they won’t affect everyone. Possible side effects include:
Mild stomach pain and heartburn – these are the most common side effects but can usually be avoided if aspirin is taken with food
Blocked or runny nose
Skin reddening, blistering of lips, eyes or mouth, skin peeling
Dizziness or ringing in the ears
Increased bleeding/blood thinning (if you cut or injure yourself), including bruises, nose bleeds and/or bleeding gums
See patient information leaflet for a full list of side effects.
Stomach ulcer or stomach bleeding which may result in black or tarry stools, nausea, diarrhoea and/or vomiting
Internal bleeding which may result in anaemia, causing weakness, increased tiredness and pale skin.
An asthma attack if you are asthmatic and sensitive to aspirin, or breathing difficulties (bronchospasm)
Changes in normal liver activity in blood tests (very rare)
Aspirin 324mg, Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate 1744mg, Citric Acid 965mg per tablet.
Povidone, Dimeticone, Calcium silicate, Docusate sodium benzoate (E211), Sodium saccharin, natural and artificial Lemon flavour, and natural Lime flavour.