Aciclovir is an antiviral medicine, which acts on infected cells by stopping the virus growing. Aciclovir 400mg tablets are used to:
• treat or prevent herpes simplex infections of the skin and mucous membranes e.g. cold sores and genital herpes (except in children whose immune system works less well and they are unable to fight infections)
• prevent herpes simplex infections in patients whose immune system is not working properly
• treat chicken pox (varicella infection).
Uses / Instructions
For treatment the dose is:
ONE tablet 3 times a day for 5 days
For suppression the dose is:
ONE tablet twice daily
Talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse before taking Aciclovir 400 mg Tablets
• if you have kidney problems
• if you are over 65 years of age
If you are not sure if the above apply to you, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking
Aciclovir 400 mg Tablets.
It is important that you drink plenty of water while taking Aciclovir 400 mg Tablets
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Serious side effects:
If any of the following happen, stop taking Aciclovir 400 mg Tablets and tell your doctor immediately or go to the casualty department at your nearest hospital.
Allergic reactions (may affect up to 1 in 1,000 people)
If you have an allergic reaction, stop taking Aciclovir 400 mg Tablets and see a doctor straight away. The signs may include:
• rash, itching or hives on your skin
• swelling of your face, lips, tongue or other parts of your body
• shortness of breath, wheezing or trouble breathing
Other side effects include:
Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)
• feeling dizzy
• feeling or being sick
• stomach pains
• skin reaction after exposure to light (photosensitivity)
• feeling tired
• unexplained fever (high temperature) and feeling faint, especially when standing up
The active substance is Aciclovir. Each tablet contains 400 mg of Aciclovir
For a list of other ingredients see the patient information leaflet of the pack you receive as different brands may use different other ingredients.