WHAT IS VENTOLIN EVOHALER?
Ventolin Evohaler is an asthma inhaler formulated to help relieve the symptoms of asthma attacks. It contains Salbutamol, a fast-acting drug that helps relax your airways so you can breathe better.
Ventolin Evohaler is used to treat Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and asthma.
Ventolin contains the active ingredient Salbutamol Sulphate and is used in the treatment of Asthma. It is the common blue reliever inhaler used by asthma sufferers. The Evohaler contains 100ug of Salbutamol, a quick-acting drug that helps stops an asthma attack when it occurs.
Salbutamol works by relaxing the muscles around your airways to help open them and make it easier for you to breathe.
WHAT IS ASTHMA?
Asthma is a chronic respiratory disease that affects the lungs. It’s characterized by the inflammation of your airways, particularly the air sacs and smaller air passages. This inflammation makes your airways narrow — making breathing more difficult. Asthma is a serious long-term illness that affects over 5 million people in the UK.
Some of the known triggers of asthma are listed below:
- Certain medications
- Certain food and food additives
What are the symptoms of Asthma?
Common asthma symptoms include shortness of breath, wheezing, cough which gets worse at night, and chest pain, pressure, or tightness.
Not everyone with asthma experiences the same symptoms. Some may go for several months without experiencing any. Although it doesn’t have any cure, the symptoms of asthma can be managed.
What is an asthma attack?
An asthma attack is the sudden worsening of your asthma symptoms. During this episode, your airways become inflamed and produce more mucus than normal. Muscles around your airways also contract (bronchospasm) making it harder to breathe. Mild asthma attacks can be treated at home by treatments like an asthma inhaler. Severe asthma attacks, on the other hand, are life-threatening.
Uses / Instructions
Use Ventolin Evohaler as needed. You may use it when you start noticing symptoms like coughing, chest pressure, shortness of breath and wheezing. You can also use the asthma inhaler when you know that you are going to do an activity that can trigger your asthma (i.e. sports, running, exercise, going up the stairs, etc.).
The normal dosage of Ventolin Evohaler for children and adults is:
- 1 or 2 puffs, as needed
- Don’t take more than 4 times (regardless of whether you had 1 or 2 puffs at a time) in 24 hours
What if I need to use the inhaler more than 4 times?
If you need to use Ventolin Evohaler for more than 4 times in 24 hours, consult your GP or asthma nurse. Normally this means that your asthma is getting worse and you may need a different treatment. Normally you will undergo an Asthma review Using the inhaler more than its prescribed limit makes you more susceptible to side effects like headaches, jitteriness, increased heart rate, and nervousness.
Also, consult your GP, pharmacist, or asthma nurse if you need to use Ventolin Evohaler:
- In the middle of the night at least once a week
- More than 2 days per week
What should I do during an asthma attack?
During an asthma attack, you can take up to 10 puffs of Salbutamol inhaler. Always shake the inhaler and wait for 30 seconds between each puff. If after 10 minutes your asthma attack still persists, repeat the dose.
Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before taking Ventolin Evohaler if:
- your asthma is active (for example you have frequent symptoms or flare ups or limited physical ability). Your doctor may start or increase a medicine to control your asthma such as an inhaled corticosteroid.
- you have high blood pressureyou have an overactive thyroid gland
- you have a history of heart problems such as an irregular or fast heartbeat or angina.
- you are taking xanthine derivatives (such as theophylline) or steroids to treat asthma.
- you are taking water tablets (diuretics), sometimes used to treat high blood pressure or a
Salbutamol is generally safe and only a couple of side effects are associated with it. These are:
- Muscle cramps
- Temporary fast heartbeat (no chest pain)
- Feeling shaky
These side effects are not dangerous and will gradually improve once you get used to Ventolin Evohaler.
Although these happen very rarely, contact your doctor immediately if you:
- Get very dizzy
- Pass out
- Experience severe headache
- Experience muscle weakness or pain
- Feel that your heartbeat is not normal
Read the patient information leaflet for a full list of side effects.
What Ventolin Evohaler contains
- The active substance is salbutamol sulfate.
- The other ingredient is HFA 134a