Logynon ED is a combined oral contraceptive pill (‘the Pill’). You take it to stop you getting pregnant.
Logynon ED contains two types of female sex hormones, oestrogen (ethinylestradiol) and progestogen (levonorgestrel). These hormones stop you getting pregnant by working in three ways: by preventing an egg being released from your ovaries; by making the fluid (mucus) in your cervix thicker, which makes it more difficult for sperm to enter the womb; and by preventing the lining of your womb thickening enough for an egg to grow in it.
Logynon ED is taken every day without a break. You take an ‘active pill’ each day for 21 days, followed by an ‘inactive pill’ each day for 7 days.
The benefits of taking the Pill include:
▪ it is one of the most reliable reversible methods of contraception if used correctly
▪ it doesn’t interrupt sex
▪ it usually makes your periods regular, lighter and less painful
▪ it may help with pre-menstrual symptoms.
Logynon ED will not protect you against sexually transmitted infections, such as Chlamydia or HIV.
Only condoms can help to do this.
Logynon ED needs to be taken as directed to prevent pregnancy
Uses / Instructions
Take Logynon ED every day for 28 days
Start taking your next strip of Logynon ED the next day. Do not leave a gap between packs.
If the condition develops, or gets worse while you are using Logynon ED, you should also tell your doctor.
- If you experience symptoms of angioedema such as swollen face, tongue and/or throat and/or difficulty swallowing or hives potentially with difficulty breathing contact a doctor immediately. Products containing oestrogens may cause or worsen the symptoms of hereditary and acquired angioedema.
- If you have Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis (chronic inflammatory bowel disease)
- If you have systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE – a disease affecting your natural defence system)
- If you have haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS – a disorder of blood clotting causing failure of the kidneys)
- If you have sickle cell anaemia (an inherited disease of the red blood cells)
- If you have inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis)
- If you have elevated levels of fat in the blood (hypertriglyceridaemia) or a positive family history for this condition. Hypertriglyceridaemia has been associated with an increased risk of developing pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
- If you need an operation, or you are off your feet for a long time
- If you have just given birth you are at an increased risk of blood clots. You should ask your doctor how soon after delivery you can start taking Logynon ED
- If you have an inflammation in the veins under the skin (superficial thrombophlebitis)
- If you have varicose veins
- If you have diabetes
- If you or your close family have ever had problems with your heart, or circulation such as high blood pressure
- If you or your close family have ever had problems with blood clotting
- If you have the inherited disease called porphyria
- If you are overweight (obese)
- If you have migrainesIf you have any illness that worsened during pregnancy or previous use of the Pill
Common side effects (between 100 and 1000 in every 10,000 users may be affected)
▪ feeling sick
▪ stomach ache
▪ putting on weight
▪ depressive moods or mood swings
▪ sore or painful breasts
Uncommon side effects (between 10 and 100 in every 10,000 users may be affected)
▪ being sick and stomach upsets
▪ fluid retention
▪ loss of interest in sex
▪ breast enlargement
▪ skin rash, which may be itchy
See patient information leaflet for more details.
The active substances are levonorgestrel and ethinylestradiol.
Each light brown tablet contains 50 micrograms levonorgestrel and 30 micrograms ethinylestradiol.
Each white tablet contains 75 micrograms levonorgestrel and 40 micrograms ethinylestradiol.
Each ochre tablet contains 125 micrograms levonorgestrel and 30 micrograms ethinylestradiol.
The larger white tablets are inactive.
All tablets are sugar-coated.
The other ingredients are:
Lactose, maize starch, povidone, magnesium stearate (E572), sucrose, macrogol 6000, calcium carbonate (E170), talc, glycol montanate, glycerin (E422), titanium dioxide (E171), ferric oxide pigment (red and yellow) (E172).