This contraceptive contains two types of female sex hormones, oestrogen and progestogen. These hormones stop you getting pregnant by working in three ways:
- by preventing an egg being released from your ovaries;
- by making the fluid (mucus) in your cervix thicker, which makes it more difficult for sperm to enter the womb; and
- by preventing the lining of your womb thickening enough for an egg to grow in it.
Femodene ED is taken every day without a break. You take an ‘active pill’ each day for 21 days, followed by an ‘inactive pill’ each day for 7 days.
Uses / Instructions
Take Femodene ED every day for 28 days
See patient information leaflet for further details.
You will need regular check-ups with your doctor or family planning nurse, usually when you need another prescription of the Pill.
▪ You should go for regular cervical smear tests.
▪ Check your breasts and nipples every month for changes – tell your doctor if
you can see or feel anything odd, such as lumps or dimpling of the skin.
▪ If you need a blood test tell your doctor that you are taking the Pill, because the Pill can affect the results of some tests.
▪ If you’re going to have an operation, make sure your doctor knows about it. You may need to stop taking the Pill at least 4 weeks before the operation. This is to reduce the risk of a blood clot . Your doctor will tell you when you can start taking the Pill again.
Common side effects (between 100 and 1000 in every 10,000 users may be affected)
▪ feeling sick
▪ stomach ache
▪ putting on weight
▪ depressive moods or mood swings
▪ sore or painful breasts
For a full list of side effects see the patient information leaflet.
Each strip of Femodene ED contains 21 white sugar-coated tablets containing 75
micrograms of the progestogen gestodene and 30 micrograms of the oestrogen
ethinylestradiol and 7 larger, white, inactive tablets.
Femodene ED also contains the inactive ingredients:
Lactose, maize starch, povidone, sodium calcium edetate, magnesium stearate
(E572), sucrose, macrogol 6000, calcium carbonate (E170), talc, montan glycol wax.